Accidents happen, and sometimes, we’re not prepared to avoid those accidents. We might not be giving around surroundings our full attention, or we might miss something that could have helped us avoid the accident. Unfortunately, that means that now you’re injured, and you believe you were at least partly at fault for your own injuries.
Unfortunately, many people think that, because they might be held responsible for their injuries, that they cannot sue. That’s fortunately not true in Illinois, though you’ll need help. Fighting back when you might be accused of partial fault makes it tough to recover, so seek out help from qualified lawyers in Belleville. They’ll fight to make sure you get the full compensation you deserve.
What is “Comparative Negligence?”
If you were partially at fault for your accident, then how can you seek compensation? In Illinois, fault in personal injury claims isn’t so black and white. The courts understand that there’s rarely one person who is 100 percent at fault for the accident, and they try to account for that.
That means you should still receive some compensation, even if you were partly responsible. Your claim’s worth will simply be diminished by the amount you’re found at fault for. You’ll only be barred from recovering any of your compensation if you’re found over 50 percent at fault for your claim.
For example, let’s say you slipped and fell, but you weren’t looking where you were walking. You might be held responsible for 20 percent of the fault for the accident. While you were found partly at fault, you should still be able to recover the other 80 percent of your claim.
Fighting Back for Your Claim’s Worth
When you’re injured and need compensation, however, you’ll need to fight back where possible for your claim. Medical expenses can be costly, and if you missed work during your recovery, you deserve compensation for that, too.
So, you’ll need a lawyer on your side to deal with the costs of your injury. Having your claim’s worth lowered can leave you struggling, after all. Your claim might have been worth $100,000, for example, before you were accused of negligence. Now, you’ll only receive $80,000, making it harder to recover.
While being partially at fault for your injuries won’t prevent you from being compensated, you’ll want to protect that compensation where possible. Reach out for help when you’re injured by someone else’s negligence, even if you were also at fault.
How a Lawyer Can Help
Unfortunately, while you’ll still be eligible for compensation, you could lose part of that compensation if you aren’t careful. You’ll need help recovering, and that means getting the full compensation you need for a full recovery.
To maximize your compensation despite being partly at fault, seek out the help of a lawyer. You’ll need someone who can fight back for your claim and ensure you get the full amount possible when you’ve suffered through an accident. While you might be partly at fault, the other person should still be held responsible for your suffering.